Who are we?
Re-formed in 2003 from a smaller association, the Walthamstow Village Residents’ Association (WVRA) is a local community group, drawn primarily, but not exclusively, from residents of the two Conservation Areas making up Walthamstow Village – The Village and Orford Road Conservation Areas (see history).
The currently serving committee is listed here.
What is our aim?
To make a safe and enjoyable community environment for people living in and visiting Walthamstow Village.
We have close links with the organisations listed here.
What we are currently involved in
- Social events throughout the year including an annual curry supper quiz (120 people) and carol singing with brass band, mulled wine and mince pies (350 people)
- Community events throughout the year including annual Spring Cleans and Clean-ups, Plant, Seed and Produce Swaps, Front Gardens & Beautiful Premises Challenges, Children’s Planting Workshops
- Walthamstow Village in Bloom – UK finalists in RHS Britain in Bloom 2010, 2011 & 2016 (Silver-Gilt). Five times Gold award winners and six times winners of Best London Village in London in Bloom
- Adoption and maintenance of twenty planters, many tree-pits, a community orchard at Chalmers House, plus Vestry Green and Village Square flowerbeds
- Running the Village Veg, Community Allotment outside 1 Beulah Road
- Running a Monthly Gardening Club
- Liaising with WF to install seasonal lights and hanging baskets on lampposts in Orford Road.
- Producing newsletters (2000 copies per issue) and providing regular emails to members
- Liaising with local businesses and requesting sponsorship and goods for events, raffles
- Working to get the Post Office reinstated in Orford Road
- Community safety, info and liaison with Met Police and Hoe Street SNT officers
- Maintaining and developing WVRA website and local email facility
- Compiling an information leaflet outlining responsibilities and restrictions on building works, TV receivers, windows etc for residents/landlords for properties in a Conservation Area.
- Supporting local Community Groups and campaigning re relevant issues
- Liason with WF Council to remove litter, dumped rubbish and graffiti from area
- Monitoring intrusion of uPVC windows/doors in the conservation areas
- Assisting in the development of the Vestry House Museum and its gardens
- Monthly WVRA committee meetings
- Open public meetings for the whole community
- Attending Council Meetings regarding Planning and Public Realm issues including Street Watchers
Some things we have done
- The 20mph scheme being installed for The Village and its neighbouring areas
- Gained Local Retail Parade status for Orford Road
- Development of the Village Square and its road frontages
- Sought Conservation Area Article 4(2) status for the whole of Walthamstow Village
- Illuminated Christmas Tree in Village Square
- Planted 15,000 spring bulbs – on Vestry Green, Village Square, Summit Road verges, Vinegar Alley and tree-pits and planters
- Adoption, funding planting and maintenance of flowerbeds and planters
- Resolving architectural difficulty in the development of No. 1 St Mary Road
- Improving sub-standard buildings in Orford Road
- Local listed building consent for former Frank Ison Hardware Store
- Consulting on CPZ provision in the local area, including Comely Bank
- Repositioning of dangerous kerbs across East Avenue railway bridge
- Consultation and support with the re-development of Vestry Playground
- Monitoring of planning applications affecting the conservation areas
- Introduced additional public litter bins for the area
- Removal of unlicensed vehicles from local streets
- Liaison with WF Council re positioning of cycle racks
- Improved lighting down Church Path, Vinegar Alley and Beulah and Maynard Paths